26.3.11

The Bread Lady

boule, vintage table
Creating  a career has involved many sleepless nights, coffee in quantities not prescribed by the Surgeon General, a few tears, and some   could-a, would-a, should-a moments ( does everything in life relate to a Sex in the City Episode or A Seinfeld Episode?) Until my friend Valerie sent me this link to this person  . I was captivated by her story, her lifestyle and began envisioning myself shoveling bread into a wood-fired oven , which has been  built by myself,  surrounded by the gentle clucking of Araucana chickens in the oasis that is my back yard.
To that end I am enrolled in this course  and I am going to do this. Bake Bread, Teach Classes in Said Bread Making, Sell  Aforementioned Bread at  St Albert Farmers Market.
Of course the Bread!  A variation on a Jim Lahey recipe (of Sullivan Street Bakery), taken from  this book , changed for our altitude, humidity and different flour in my home town. I have been baking bread for over 40 years and I am enamored of the new method. 
 The bread is magnificent , delightfully chewy, fragrant, full of holes, perfect for toasting. Once you start making and devouring this bread you will not be able to eat anything else.



whole wheat boule, Le Creuset, hand painted glass back splash


Write me for the recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment